Monday, November 19, 2007

Har Ghar Kuch Kehta Hai!!!

Laughter, tears, anxiety, excitement, indolence, weariness, fear, anger, relief, all resident members of me and my extended self - my room. Today mumma tells me we have to vacate this house as it isn’t ours and we’ve to move on. It isn’t ours? How can it not be when every brick, every speck of dust, every chipped paint coating and every crack in the wall has been witness to my life, my being, my survival, my fight, my victory and my defeat? I have grown up here from a silly girl to a muddled up woman, from a carefree bird to a fierce wild eagle, from a lost soul to a free spirit.
My loyal friends, the curtains always donned the mood I wore – sunshiny happy yellow or deep sad green, always lending a fluttering shoulder to dance or to cry on. Prison it seemed but never did the walls hold me captive; they only silently absorbed my tears into their pores. Even when the air was heavy, pregnant with animosity, the windows always let in pleasant zephyrs as lullabies putting me to sleep. Away from the crazy rush of people, noisy minds and jabbering tongues I always found my way back to my sanity, my haven, my favourite room. Change is constant and we will move on, leave this place and seek comfort elsewhere. But I am leaving behind a major part of me, the part which is the scrap, the me which went through the cutting, chiseling, drilling, shaping, painting and polishing to give the final product!! I step out of this room, this house with a world of change in me. But what I’ll never forget is that it is this room where I cried over the loss of my brother, blushed at the feeling of falling in love, burnt the midnight oil to prepare for exams, shared a gazillion secrets with my friends, read the most amazing books on my favourite couch, admired myself in the mirror for hours, danced like a crazy kangaroo to blaring music, tried to mend my broken heart, made vital decisions in my life, learnt that Life is either NOW and HERE or NOWHERE.
I’ll miss you my room, I’ll miss you my dear house. You have been my biggest comfort, like a mother embracing me and soothing me through the warm days and the cold nights. Goodbye sweet home.

No comments: